Schools and Training Programs in Homeopathy
By Dana Ullman MPH, CCH
At the turn of the century there were 22 homeopathic medical schools in the U.S. Although none of these schools presently exist, a growing number of schools and training programs have begun in recent years and many more are expected in the years ahead.
We encourage you to visit our website at Homeopathic Educational Services (http://www.homeopathic.com/). In addition to accessing over 100 free articles on homeopathy, we have a very comprehensive online catalogue of hundreds of homeopathic books, tapes, medicines, medicine kits, software, and distance learning courses (we serve people ALL over the world with these products and services).
Five naturopathic medical schools have good programs in homeopathy. In order to get into them, you must have at least two years of chemistry, a year of biology, and some other pre- medical coursework. These schools offer a four-year program.
- National College of Naturopathic Medicine, 049 SW Porter, Portland, OR 97201. (530)255-4860 www.ncnm.edu
- Bastyr University, 14500 Juanita Dr NE, Bothell, WA 98011. (425)823-1300 www.bastyr.edu
- Bastyr University (San Diego, California) http://www.bastyr.edu/california -- 4106 Sorrento Valley Blvd., San Diego, CA. 92121; 858-246-9700.
- Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine, 2140 E. Broadway Road, Tempe, AZ 85282; (602)858-9100 www.scnm.edu
- Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine, 1255 Sheppard Ave E., N. York, Ontario M2K 1E2, Canada www.ccnm.edu
- University of Bridgeport, College of Naturopathic Medicine, 60 Lafayette, Bridgeport, CT 06601. 800-392-3582
- "Luminous Homeopathic Courses", taught by Lou Klein, RSHom, is for intermediate and advanced students/practitioners. It is taught in New York and Los Angeles. Contact him at 604-947-0757 or visit his web site: http://www.homeopathycourses.com/
- The Berkeley Institute of Homeopathy sponsors a 3-year course for both laypeople and professionals. http://www.berkeleyinstituteofhomeopathy.com/ (510)548-1403
- The Institute of Classical Homoeopathy offers a 4-year program in Marin County. Located at 1336D Oak, St. Helena, CA 94574. 707-963-7796. http://www.classichomeopathy.org/
- The Homeopathic Academy of Southern California has a three-year course with excellent teachers - Located at 2236 Rutherford Road, Carlsbad, CA 92008; 760-494-0542. http://homeopathic-academy.com/
- The American University of Complementary Medicine (formerly Curentur University) offers a state approved three-year course leading to an MA degree, as well as additional coursework leading to the clinical Doctor of Homeopathic Medicine (DHM) degree and the Ph.D. in Homeopathy. Also, beginning in September 2008 will be video-conferencing didactic courses as part of their distance education efforts. Located at 11543 Olympic Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90064. 310-448-1700. http://www.aucm.org/
- Los Angeles School of Homeopathy, 13323 W. Washington Blvd #202, LA, CA. 90066; 310-772-8235; www.lahomeopathicschool.com
- American Medical College of Homeoapthy. Todd Rowe, MD, CCH, who also teaches at the Hahnemann College of Homeopathy, has developed his own school which includes 100 hours of clinical supervision. Located at 2201 W. Camelback #150, Phoenix, AZ. 85015; 602-347-7950; www.amcofh.org
- Evolution of the Self School of Homeopathy offers both 4- and 6-year programs. Their primary teacher is the highly respected Vega Rozenberg, RSHom. Located at 2700 Woodlands Village, #300-250, Flagstaff, AZ. 86001. 520-525-2228
- The Renaissance Institute of Classical Homeopathy offers courses in Las Vegas and Boston. Contact them at PO Box 31025, Santa Fe, NM 87594, or http://www.drluc.com/ on the web.
- The Homeopathic Community School, 1124 6th Ave. S., Edmunds, WA. 98020; 425-672-4425; www.homeocommunityschool.com
- New England School of Homeopathy was founded by famed Homeopath and Naturopath Paul Herscu, ND. They offer training programs in Massachusetts, Washington, and occasionally other locations. Contact them at: 356 Middle St., Amherst, MA 01002. 413-256-5949. www.nesh.com
- The Teleosis School of Homeopathy offers a four-year program led by Joel Kreisberg, DC, CCH. Open only to licensed professionals; MD, DO, DC, ND, LAC, FNP, RN, PsyD, etc. Begabati Lennihan, RN, CCH, Director, 5A Lancaster St. Cambridge, MA 02140 (617) 547-8500 www.teleosis.org
- The National Center for Homeopathy offers summer courses for health professionals and laypeople. They also offer courses for dentists & veterinarians. Located at: 801 N. Fairfax St. #306, Alexandria, VA. 22314. 703-548-7790, or http://www.homeopathic.org/
The Northwestern Academy of Homeopathy offers a 3-year program. 5201 Eden Avenue, Suite 245, Edina, MN 55436. (612) 794-6445. Toll-free 1-877-644-4401. http://www.homeopathicschool.org/.
- Homeopathy School International offers distance education for professional certification and personal care. Courses can be taken from anywhere and started at any time: www.homeopathyschool.org
- The Texas Institute for Homeopathy is located at: 876 Amberstone, San Antonio, TX 78258. Contact them at 800-460-7580, or at http://www.texashomeopathy.com on the Web.
- The Vancouver Homeopathic Academy can be contacted at: PO Box 34095 Station D, Vancouver, BC V6J 4M1 Canada. 604-708-9387. www.homeopathyvancouver.com
- The Toronto School of Homeopathic Medicine is located at: 17 Yorkville Avenue #200, Toronto, Ontario M4W 1L1 Canada. Contact them at 416-966-2350 or via the Web at http://www.homeopathycanada.com/
- The Hahnemann Center for Homeopathy and Heilkunst is located at: 1445 St. Joseph Boulevard, Ottawa, Ontario K1C 7K9 Canada. Contact them at 613-830-2556, or via the Web at http://www.homeopathy.com/
- The Canadian Academy of Homeopathy is located at 1173 Boulevard Du Mont-Royal, Outremont, Quebec H2V 2H6, Canada. Contact them at 514-279-6629, or via the Web at http://www.homeopathy.ca/
- The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine is located at: 1255 Sheppard Avenue East, New York, Ontario M2K 1E2, Canada. Contact them at 416-498-1255, or via the Web at http://www.ccnm.edu/
- Special training for dentists is available from National Dental Seminars, PO Box 123, Marengo, IL. 60152.
- Training in veterinary homeopathy is available through Richard Pitcairn, DVM, PhD: www.drpitcairn.com
- Homeopathic Educational Services represents the British Institute of Homeopathy, developed by pharmacist Trevor Cook. One-year and two-year courses are available emphasizing books, tapes and written material. Various specialty courses in casetaking, repertorization, women's health, veterinary care, herbs & nutrition, homeopathic pharmacy, anatomy and physiology, and pathology and the nature of disease are also offered. Contact us at 800-359-9051 (from the USA only) or 510-649-0294, or visit our website at http://www.homeopathic.com/
- There are now three leading certifying organizations for homeopaths, and one for naturopaths:
- The Council on Homeopathic Certification, PO Box 12180, La Crescenta, CA 91224 PMB 187, 17051 SE 272nd St. Ste. 43, Covington, WA 98042; Contact them at: 866-242-3399 or visit thir web address, http://www.homeopathy-council.org
- The North American Society of Homeopaths, PO BOX 450039, Sunrise, FL 33345-0039; 206.720.7000. http://homeopathy.org
- The American Board of Homeotherapeutics, 617 W Main Street 4th Floor, Charlottesville, VA 22903, is for certified MDs and DOs. Contact them at 703-548-7790.
- The Homeopathic Academy of Naturopathic Physicians, 12132 SE Foster Place, Portland, OR 97226, is the certifying organization for naturopathic physicians. Contact them at 503-761-3298, or visit their web address at http://hanp.net